Saturday 23 June 2007

a Cicada free Chicago!

When I heard we would be traveling to Chicago, I was very excited because I have never been here before, and those that have say it is one of the best cities in the world. My excitment was cut short, however, upon finding out that this year, of all years is the 17th year in the life of the cicada. What the heck is that, you ask? well, cicadas are like large locusts that swarm about the eastern united states every 17 years. We're talking millions of bugs. Swarming. Millions. Lucky for me, last week was the last one they were out, and now they are back underground to cook for another 17 years.

I am now enjoying a breakfast of oatmeal and grapefruit in the hotel restaurant, looking out at what looks like an ocean (and is actually lake michigan). I have the day off today, and plan to explore on my own a bit. Later tonight, I've set my heart on finding a jazz or blues (or both) club to go to! becuase how can I be in Chicago, and not hear the real blues guys do the real blues thang?

The past few days we spent back in New York City, for a special performance at Gotham Hall for Entertainment Weekly's 25th anniversary. I was able to procure a sweet gift bag, which held a 5 disc set of the discovery channel's Shark Week (yay!) and shampoo. Kevin (Rihanna's keyboard player) is friends with some people who were at the party, and they took us out dancing at this place called Stereo. The DJ was AMAZING and we danced like crazy! ("crazy" being the operative word!) I don't know how new yorkers do the 4am thing all the time though. I pretty much was a wreck yesterday because we had to get up early and get on a plane to come here. I slept my way into Chicago.

Hope everyone is well, I will be back home on monday or tuesday! :)


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: