Tuesday 22 May 2007

Blue Peter

"Blue Peter" is the name of the London based BBC TV show that I was on with Rihanna yesterday. (things that make you say, "im sorry, what?") It is the longest running kids show in the UK...they gave us all these little blue pins to wear during our set. I hear that these pins sell for high prices on EBAY because the only way to get one otherwise is to have been on the show. Our performance wasn't live. Well actually the vocals were live, but the band just mimed to a track.
Now, I am sitting at a desk in my hotel room looking out at the Berlin skyline. (we flew here early this morning)... Today I walked around the city and took a canal tour (I know, such the cheesy tourist thing to do). The boat tour was funny, because the commentary was half in english, half in deutsch, and I'm not sure the lady giving it actually knew what she was saying. All the english stuff was like, " to your left you have a swimming, just for the children."
It is 11:22am at home which means it is 8:22pm here! It is so weird to think that I have already lived through today, and you haven't! Berlin gives me a little bit of a uneasy feeling because of the history that is here...most of the city is new - during WWII pretty much the entire thing was in ruin. I went to buy postcards today and there were a lot of them depicting half standing buldings. I decided on a bright blue postcard with white writing in German; I have no idea what the words mean though, I just thought they looked funny. I'll ask the lady at the front desk later.
The Wilco show, by the way, was amazing. I had never really gotten into their music before, but this show made me a fan! it was at the Empire Theatre, in London, and the place was absolutely PACKED. They have a six piece band, and pretty much everyone plays more than one instrument. (the drummer had vibes and all kinds of shakers along with a full drum kit, the bass player also played piano, the other bass player also played a bunch of different percussion instruments and some keys...etc.) they played one encore that was about 25 minutes long, and another encore that was about 10 minutes long. London loves Wilco, it seems! Afterwards I hung out in the lobby with them again, and met a few quirky older englishmen who had been at the show and were quite enthralled.
Oh my gosh, I almost forgot to tell you about Tate Modern, in London....Absolutely amazing. I only wish I had more time to walk around...the place is huge! We spent the most time in the surrealism: sleep and dreams exhibit. My favorite pieces that I saw were a series of 3 Francis Bacon paintings and a series of 4 paintings from a lesser known artist named Cy Twombly.

Tomorrow we are going to MTV Europe for a few different performances, including one on their TRL. danke, und guten nicht.

1 comment:

Roberto Allende said...

Congratulations!

I loved Germany! Have fun and take lots of pics for us.